Friday, March 18, 2011

Back from California & Ready for the Ever-Elusive Weekend

Well I flew out to San Diego last Sunday to work the Sea Service Leadership Association's Joint Women's Leadership Symposium, which was very fun and stressful.  Tasha and I spent much of our free time in our own world of sketch comedy.  We thought up scenes including a taped wedding with finger-puppet bride's maids and just the parents in the audience ("Well, you know her sisters couldn't fly out for the wedding this time because they are ever so busy.  It would have been lovely to see Janice and the kids, but of course, they disapprove of their sister's chosen partner."...pan to cat groom.)...in another scene we imagined, a woman goes to dinner at the same restaurant every evening and pesters the poor waiter by making him guess what she wants ("Your tip is on the line, I hope you know!  Don't peak (hides menu)!"), and asks inane pop-quiz questions to test his knowledge of the menu ("If I were to say 'pizzahhhh', what would that mean to you?").  We further enjoyed the night by starting up a rousing rendition of Happy Birthday that the entire restaurant joined; speaking top-secret radio lingo into random items including our wine glasses; telling everyone there was LSD in the bread; and approving of a plan to yell 'Our cover's been blown!' and run away every time someone uses a familiar phrase like "How are you?".  I even left the following note on the poor waiter's copy of the receipt: "I <3 you. Thanks for the fun laughs, good times, and spaghetti.  Is this weird? (check yes or no)".  Tasha may be the greatest enabler of shenanigans I've ever known.  If only I hadn't been sucked into stupid conversation with random Navy pilots at the bar...I could've enjoyed so many more hijinx.  I didn't want to be rude, but later regretted that decision.

It was nice to come home, but I had to go straight to work this morning (despite still feeling like I'm on west coast time) and tomorrow I am driving down to Williamsburg (3 hrs) for Charlotte's 30th birthday party.  Amazingly enough, I will have only 4 more workdays before I fly down to Key West to see Colin, so I still have to pack for that trip.  (Oh, and the lack of nickname?  Well I don't make nicknames for anyone else, so I feel a little silly calling him Kirkwood and then calling my sister by her real name...Tara must spend hours figuring those names out.  I just can't handle that much thought). 

Speaking of Colin, today is our one-year anniversary!  He sent me a funny email & a free e-card...and he sneakily called me for a couple of minutes.  His calls are always a surprise, and he just says "Hey." as if I was expecting his voice.

So here goes the weekend!  It will be filled with driving and less sleep than I'd like, but I'm glad to be going to Charlotte's birthday.  I promise my couch that I'll lie motionless there again soon.

1 comment:

  1. Hilarious. You made me laugh.

    Names come naturally. Too bad it's not profitable.

    ReplyDelete