Wednesday, May 18, 2011

VA in TX

I just got back from dropping Colin off at the airport in Houston, and am now hanging out with my new air mattress (complete with memory foam top) and empty apartment. My to-do list includes grocery shopping, but I can't bring myself to go out. On my way home from the airport, I stopped in historic League City to check out some of the fun little shops, and I grabbed Chick Fil A for lunch. Great invention: ketchup dip/squeeze cups. Only available at Chick Fil A as far as I can tell. They make me want to steal all the free ketchups...this is probably one of the dangers inherent in using new condiment inventions.

So far, Texas (seen only from the highway) seems more like a foreign country than another state. There are very few tall buildings and it appears that businesses are trying to make it look like a developing nation with their hideous roadside signs. I suppose I could compare it to a giant truck stop. I'm not saying that I hate it...just explaining how it looks to an outsider who just moved from beautiful, red-brick Arlington, VA. Historic League City was very nice in comparison, and looked more like a tiny town from a storybook. I look forward to touring the prettier areas with Margaret as my guide.

While Colin was here, we visited the Kemah boardwalk, which is really close to my apartment. We ate dinner and took pictures in a photobooth that accepted credit cards (yet another invention that makes my life exponentially better). Because we accidentally got to the boardwalk just before it closed, we plan to visit again next time he's in town.

No comments:

Post a Comment