Thursday, April 7, 2011

VA in Key West...again!

I got back from Key West on Sunday, and have been enjoying Virginia spring just about ever since.  I do miss the Florida weather, though.  During my week-long spring break, Colin and I went stand-up paddling through the mangroves, took a 2-hour jet ski tour of the island, bought and rode an inflatable killer whale, and ate at a few wonderful restaurants.  I loved the entire visit, from meeting Colin on the pier to destroying the dinosaur pinata that Nicole and I bought for the guys' "Congratulations!  You're Home!" party.  Unfortunately, the Dollar Store didn't have "Welcome Home" signs, so we improvised.

On one of our first days, we ate brunch at the Casa Marina hotel, which is where I want to stay if I ever vacation in Key West. 
Yep, there it is.  Sort of reminds me of my future apartment building.

We also ate (and drank the best pina coladas of all time!) at Louie's Backyard, which is right on the edge of the dog beach!  After three pina coladas, it is really fun to watch the dogs swim around.  Colin and I even saw one dog wearing a little life jacket.  I think Charlie and Ginsu could use some life jackets, but sadly they aren't huge fans of the water...it's possible they would feel differently if they had matching floats, but not really worth the investment.
We made a modest attempt to work off the calories doing some stand-up paddling and jet skiing.  The paddling tour was really fun, and I'm considering taking it up in Texas.  I might not have time, though...and Winston probably wouldn't be able to hold such a large board (he's only a Honda Civic!).  Anyway, it was fun and we learned a lot about mangroves.
And finally we did the 2-hour jet ski tour of the island.  It really wasn't all that informative, but we did learn about Louie's Backyard, and we got a good amount of free time on the jet skis.  We were scooting around with a bunch of families who were sitting 2 or 3 to a jet ski, but I think we had the most fun of everyone since we both got to drive the whole time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment